Last updated: February 10, 2023.
We have never, and will never sell your data to anyone.
What Data do we Collect?
By design, we only collect what we need.
Identity and Access
If you sign up and use our threat modeling tool, we’ll ask you for authentication information including your name, Email address, and optional personal information. The optional personal information helps us to improve the threat modeling experience. We may ask for additional information in the future to improve our product – this is completely optional. We will also send product updates and newsletters to the Email address you supply.
We won’t sell your personal Identity and Access information to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company name in marketing material without your permission.
Product Usage and Interactions
We store threat-modeling content in our technical stack (our database). This is so that you can use our product as intended. We keep the content as long as your threat modeling information is active. You can delete it at any point – at which point it is deleted from our technical stack.
Our threat modeling solution asks for your timezone data, and (potentially) logs the full IP address used to interact via web requests. This data is only used to identify user locations and prevent fake or spam sign-ups (and application usage).
For most of our products, we log the full IP address used to sign up a product account and retain that for use in mitigating future spammy signups. We also log all account access by full IP address for security and fraud prevention purposes, and we keep this login data for as long as your product account is active.
We collect information about your browsing and threat modeling activity for analytics and statistical purposes such as conversion rate testing and experimenting with new product solutions. This includes, for example, your browser and operating system versions, your IP address, which web pages you visited and how long they took to load, and which website referred you to us. If you have an account and are signed in, these web analytics data are tied to your IP address and user account until your account is no longer active.
Analytics and Cookies
We use persistent first-party cookies and some third-party cookies to store certain preferences, make it easier for you to use our applications, perform A/B testing as well as support some analytics (using Google Analytics).
A cookie is a piece of text stored by your browser. It may help remember login information and site preferences. It might also collect information such as your browser type, operating system, web pages visited, duration of visit, content viewed, and other click-stream data. You can adjust cookie retention settings and accept or block individual cookies in your browser settings, although our threat modeling solution won’t work and other aspects of our service may not function properly if you turn cookies off.
When you email us with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including your email address, so that we have a history of past correspondence to reference if you reach out in the future.
We also store the information you may volunteer, for example, written responses to surveys. If you agree to a customer interview, we may ask for your permission to record the conversation for future reference or use. We will only do so with your express consent.
Your Rights with Respect to your Information
At threat-modeling.com, we strive to apply the same data rights to all customers, regardless of their location. These rights include:
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To Be Forgotten”. This is your right to request, subject to certain limitations under applicable law, that your personal information be erased from our possession and, by extension, from all of our service providers (if applicable). Fulfilling some data deletion requests may prevent you from using our services because our solutions may no longer work. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the appropriate supervisory authority.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restrictions on how and why your personal information is used or processed, including opting out of the sale of personal information. Again: we never have and never will sell your personal data.
- Right to Object. You have the right, in certain situations, to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to Portability. You have the right to receive the personal information we have about you and the right to transmit it to another party.
- Right to not Be Subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right to object to and prevent any decision that could have a legal or similarly significant effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes. This right is limited if the decision is necessary for the performance of any contract between you and us, is allowed by applicable law, or is based on your explicit consent.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. We do not and will not charge you a different amount to use our products, offer you different discounts, or give you a lower level of customer service because you have exercised your data privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain rights may, by virtue of your exercising those rights, prevent you from using our Services.
Many of these rights can be exercised by signing in and updating your account information.
If you have questions about exercising these rights or need assistance, please contact us via the Contact Us page. If an authorized agent is corresponding on your behalf, we will need written consent with a signature from the account holder before proceeding.
If you are in the EU or UK, you can contact your data protection authority to file a complaint or learn more about local privacy laws.
How we Secure your Data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our solution to your browser. The database backups are also encrypted. In addition, we go to great lengths to secure your data at rest.
The data that we store for our solution (and in particular the database) is encrypted at rest.
Location of Services and Data
Our products and other web properties are operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, the UK, or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us will be transferred to and stored in the United States. By using our websites or Services and/or providing us with your personal information, you consent to this transfer. Note that you can request to be hosted in the European Union, please use the Contact Us page to do so.
Adapted from the Basecamp open-source policies.